Sunday, February 22, 2009

Student plans 'Super Sweet 21' birthday party - Arts

Student plans 'Super Sweet 21' birthday party - Arts

It is not unusual for the Drexel Gateway Theater to rent out its Event Place for business meetings, fraternity parties and movie premiere events. However, what is unusual is throwing a blowout birthday party for a typical Ohio State student.
"You only turn 21 once," said Brimaly Snipes, a junior in communication, who turned 21 on Jan. 10.
Snipes is having an extravagant 21st birthday party inspired by MTV's "My Super Sweet 16" Saturday night. She rented out the second floor of the theater, hired a DJ and even flew in a performer in hopes of creating "one of the craziest events to hit the Columbus area."
Snipes was reluctant to reveal the total cost of the big night.
"I'd rather people not know how much I paid," Snipes said.
Snipes said she watched a lot of MTV, referring to the popular show "My Super Sweet 16," a behind the scenes look into the preparation of the lavish birthday parties thrown by privileged young girls. Snipes got her inspiration and ideas for the party, including having a performer and a big birthday cake, from the show.
"It's gonna be big," Snipes said.
Some students agree with Snipes' rather large idea.
"I think it would be really fun," said Emily Stang, a freshman in communication. "It's something different than what usually goes on around here."
Not all students are as excited as Stang about the event.
"I don't know her, so I wouldn't go for her if I went. I would go just to have fun," said Erica McCulley, a sophomore in finance.
Despite the fact that she has never had a party this big before, Snipes is expecting a turnout of 200 to 400 guests.
"There is a guest list, but it shouldn't be a problem for people to get in." "I've been planning it for a month now," Snipes said.
Creating such a huge event takes preparation and finesse. Snipes said "finding a location, a performer and kind of setting a budget," were all obstacles to overcome.
"I looked at places like Buffalo Wild Wings and Panini's," Snipes said. "The Gateway had everything, and worked with me."
The Black Clark Kent, a local hip hop group of OSU students, will be the opening act for the featured artist of the evening, Terrific, a rap and dance artist from the Washington, D.C., area.Snipes is calling the event " The Sexiest Saturday Night." it will begin at 10 p.m., admission is free before 11 and $3 for the rest of the night.
"I don't think it would be unusual to throw a huge party, especially when I go to a huge school, " Snipes said.
Whitney Miller can be reached at miller.3859@osu.edu.

No comments: